Public Works Administration
Mission Statement: The Public Works Administration strives to provide administrative leadership to the departments falling under Public Works umbrella and to maintain city’s infrastructure and mobility, deliver superior water and sanitation services. The division plans to create, a city of the future.
General Overview: The Public Works Administration forecasts long term needs of all Public Works’ Divisions, increase reliability and security, and reduce risks and manage costs.
- Right of Way Maintenance
Mission Statement: To design and/or review the design of the construction or reconstruction of all City infrastructure projects; to review plans for all private commercial projects and subdivisions; to maintain and update city maps; to support the implementation of all construction projects; to maintain data and provide necessary data and provide necessary reports to state and federal agencies.
General Overview: The Engineering Division provides engineering services for construction of infrastructure facilities, maintain database for capital improvement projects, GIS, elevation certificates, utility availability letters, etc. Please click on the appropriate topic below to open or download its accompanying information.
- Design Criteria Manual;
- Utility Availability Letter;
- Elevation Certificate;
- Standard Technical Detail Drawings in CAD (zip file);
- Standard Technical Detail Drawings in PDF (zip file);
- Residential Fill Permit - Permiso Fill Residencial
- FEMA’s Floodplain Maps (Adopted June 16, 2008);
- Capital Improvement Projects.
Traffic & Transportation
Mission Statement: Expedite the safe, effective movement of persons and goods through well-planned construction operation, and maintenance of traffic control devices, signs, pavement markings, and traffic signal systems in accordance with state and federal standards.
General Overview: The Traffic and Transportation Division provide traffic signal maintenance, install and maintain signal pre-emption devices and communication systems to reduce emergency response time and overall delay, congestion, and collisions at traffic signals.
- Road Closure Permit:
Street & Bridge
Mission Statement: To protect the public by maintaining the streets, sidewalks, storm sewers, roadside ditches and drainage channels by keeping them free of debris and functioning properly including overlay of asphalt streets, section repairs of concrete streets, and replacement of curbs, sidewalks and storm sewers. In addition, the division provides both management and oversight of contracts for services and construction.
General Overview: The Street & Bridge Division is responsible for the inspection, repair and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, bridges, drainage channels, storm sewers etc. The division maintains approximately 360 miles of streets (both concrete and asphalt), approximately 121 miles of open channel drainage systems including roadside ditches and bayous in the City.
- Drainage Standards of Operation (SOP):
- Construction/Post Construction Best Management Practices (Mejores Prácticas de Manejo de la Construcción y Post-construcción)
Mission Statement: The purpose of the Sanitation Division of the Public Works Department is to provide comprehensive, cost effective and environmentally sound collection, processing and disposal of solid waste in the form of household garbage, brush and heavy trash pick-up while removing recyclable items from the waste stream in an efficient manner.
Achievements For Fiscal Year 2014:
- Filled job vacancies for the department to operate as required.
- Continue Recycle Center Upgrades.
- Utilize other forms to manage garbage and heavy trash pickup.
- Continue to issue and deliver 64 gallon garbage containers.
Priorities, Goals, And Objectives For 2015:
- Utilize resources to continue operating the department as required.
- Continue to explore other forms of recycling for entire City.
- Utilize other equipment to improve and manage ways to pick up garbage.
- Continue to look for other companies to assist in recycling for Recycle Center.
|Average # customers served per month||329,427||329,882||329,406|| 330,677
|Cost per unit per month||1.62||1.65||1.70||1.74|
|% of recycling routes completed||100%||100%||100%||100%|
|Avg. completion of service request||98%||98%||98%||98%|
|City residential recycling rate||09%||10%||16%||15%|