Who are the volunteers?
Volunteers are interested, vital individuals who are willing to contribute their time and talents to others. Volunteers include seniors, students, professionals, families, church and community groups and many others. They share the common desire to do something important and to do more for others.
Types of Positions
Special Event/Occasional – These include one time volunteer events or projects that take a few hours or a few days to complete. This type of assignment would include working at a special event or in small teams. Often, the needs for these types of positions arise quickly with rapid recruitment. If you prefer to join at the spur of the moment or can’t make a regular commitment, this if for you.
Ongoing – These are volunteer positions that are needed indefinitely and are usually a regular part of a department's normal operations. More than one volunteer may be assigned to the work on a rotating schedule. If you prefer a regular schedule, you’ll like being an ongoing volunteer.
What are the time commitments?
- Assignments are as flexible as possible. Every effort is made to accommodate the volunteer’s schedule. Some programs use weekend and evening volunteers. Many volunteer opportunities are scheduled during the regular work-week, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Those who are able to make a sustained commitment are encouraged to participate in ongoing volunteer assignments.
- Most volunteer assignments don't require specific experience, and on-the-job training will be provided.
- The minimum age is 14, but there is no upper age restriction. During the summer months, students who are about to begin high school may participate.
- Applicants must complete the Volunteer Application Forms to be considered for City assignment. Background checks are required for volunteer placement.
- Once Volunteer Application Forms are submitted potential volunteers are interviewed to determine their interests. Every attempt is made to match potential volunteers with the assignment of their choice, depending on availability and departmental need.
Volunteer Pasadena offers a number of rewarding service opportunities, both ongoing and for special events. Learn more here.