You can purchase certain emergency preparation supplies tax free during the 2016 Emergency Preparation Supplies Sales Tax Holiday. There is no limit on the number of qualifying items you can purchase, and you do not need to issue an exemption certificate to claim the exemption.
This year’s holiday begins at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, April 23, and ends at midnight on Monday, April 25.
These emergency preparation supplies qualify for tax exemption if purchased for a price:
These supplies do not qualify for tax exemption:
- Less than $3000
- Less than $300
- Hurricane shutters
- Emergency ladders
- Less than $75
- Batteries, single or multipack (AAA cell, AA cell, C cell, D cell, 6 volt or 9 volt)
- First aid kits
- Fuel containers
- Ground anchor systems and tie-down kits
- Mobile telephone batteries and mobile telephone chargers
- Nonelectric coolers and ice chests for food storage
- Nonelectric can openers
- Portable self-powered light sources (hand cranked flashlights)
- Portable self-powered radios, including two-way and weather band radios
- Reusable and artificial ice products
- Smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and carbon monoxide detectors
- Tarps and other plastic sheeting
Additional Charges Affect Purchase Price
- Batteries for automobiles, boats and other motorized vehicles
- Camping stoves
- Camping supplies
- Extension ladders
- Repair or replacement parts for emergency preparation supplies
- Services performed on, or related to, emergency preparation supplies
- Delivery, shipping, handling and transportation charges are part of the sales price. If the emergency preparation supply being purchased is taxable, the delivery charge is also taxable. Consider these charges when determining whether an emergency preparation supply can be purchased tax free during the holiday.
- For example, you purchase a rescue ladder for $299 with a $10 delivery charge, for a total sales price of $309. Because the total sales price of the ladder is more than $300, tax is due on the $309 sales price.
- For more information, contact us at comptroller.texas.gov/taxhelp, or call 1-800-252-5555.
All City facilities will be closed on Friday, April 22 in observance of San Jacinto Day. The closure includes City Hall, Water Billing, the Municipal Services Building, both libraries, all recreation centers and other City facilities.
There will not be any City garbage collection on Friday, but for residents serviced by Waste Management, trash pick-up will continue on its normal schedule.
All emergency response services will remain available as usual.
The City of Pasadena Housing Program Office will be accepting applications for the Housing Choice Voucher Program waiting list to all interested applicants.
WHEN TO APPLY: Monday, April 18, 2016 beginning at 10:00 a.m. and ending on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 11:59 p.m.
WHERE TO APPLY: ONLINE ONLY at https://www.waitlistcheck.com/TX2448
You may only apply online via the internet. Paper applications will NOT be available at our office.
The City of Pasadena has established the following local preferences for those who qualify.
1. Veteran Residency Preference: For U.S. Military Veterans who live within the city limits of Pasadena, Texas who have an honorable discharge or condition from the U.S. Military.
2. Residency Preference: For families who live and/or work within the city limits of Pasadena, Texas
If you require a reasonable accommodation please contact our office at 713-475-5544.
El programa de vivienda de la ciudad de Pasadena abrirá la lista de espera del programa de vales de elección de vivienda a todos los interesados.
CUANDO APLICAR: Lunes, 18 de abril de 2016 comenzando a las 10:00 a.m. y finalizando el miércoles, 20 de abril de 2016 a las 11:59 p.m.
Sólo puede aplicar en línea a través de internet. Solicitudes en papel no estarán disponibles en nuestra oficina.
DONDE APLICAR: En línea en https://www.waitlistcheck.com/TX2448
La ciudad de Pasadena ha establecido las siguientes preferencias locales para aquellos que califiquen.
1. Preferencia Residencial para Veteranos: Para los veteranos militares de Estados Unidos que viven dentro de los límites de la ciudad de Pasadena, Texas con una descarga honorable o condición de las fuerzas armadas de Estados Unidos.
2. Preferencia Residencial: Para las familias que viven o trabajan dentro de los límites de la ciudad de Pasadena, Texas.
Si necesita un ajuste razonable, póngase en contacto con nuestra oficina al 713-475-5544.